December 10, 2010

The big day was quickly arriving and I had so much I wanted to get done. I knew I was having a C-section and would be out of commission for a few weeks, so I wanted a clean, organized house. My mom volunteered to come up and stay with us for a week while I recovered and help with the baby. Her birthday just happens to be Dec. 9th, so having our boy on the 10th was like a really big birthday present to her. Funny fact, back in June when we decided to tell our parents we were pregnant, I specifically told my mom by saying “I’m making your birthday present, it may arrive a little late though.” She looked at me confused and my little niece Andrada was at the table with us and mentioned that was 9 months away (although it was actually 6 months). I think my older brother got it first and I told him we might deliver the present on his birthday. I then said the package was due on Dec. 16th…they finally all figure out I was telling them I was having a baby.

Anyway, I digress. My mom came out the afternoon of Dec. 9 and Kevin and I took her out to Red Robin for her birthday and for my final meal. I was feeling pretty good and only a little anxious. It felt more like a dream than anything that I was going to finally be having this baby; this baby that had been growing and moving inside me for 9 months.

The morning of Dec. 10, we had to be at the hospital at 8am. I got up around 7, my bags were already to go. We found out the previous evening that Trenton would be coming over in the morning with his grandparents and we were excited for him to be in the room when his baby brother was born.

We got to the hospital and got all checked in, then we were taken up to the room. I had to get undressed and put on this huge hospital gown (but I wore it for my entire stay). They had to do a bunch of prep work on me to get me already for surgery. This included entering an IV and taking a lot of blood. The nurse tried two times to get the needle into my vein for the IV, but my veins kept rolling away. After two painful attempts, she gave up and called in another nurse. The second nurse also tried two more painful times before she also gave up. They had to call in one of the Doctors who successfully got the needle into my hand after one attempt and without any pain. I had bruises on my arm for a week from the four attempts and it took all I had not to cry because it really hurt when they were digging around in my arms.

Once they got the IV in, Kevin’s parents and Trenton arrived and we chatted for a few minutes. At this point, I was getting really nervous. Not because of the surgery, but because I was so afraid of what to do with a baby. I had never even changed a diaper and now I was about to become responsible for someone who would depend on me for everything. It was overwhelming.

A few minutes later the anesthesiologist came in. He was really nice and patient and explained everything that was going to happen to me from that point on. Basically, I was going to be taken up to the OR where they would do the spinal numbing. Once I was all numb, the surgery would start.

Shortly after he left, Kevin, Trenton, and I were taken to the OR. We exchanged hugs with my mom and the Millers and I was already on the verge of tears knowing my life was about to forever change and anxious to meet my little boy. Trenton and Kevin got all suited up in hair nets and over coats and I was taken into the OR. Trenton had to wait outside until they got me all laid out on the table and covered up. Kevin had to sit with me while they put a needle in my back, which just stung a little bit, but was nerve wracking because you can’t move unless you want to be paralyzed.

The medicine kicked in right away. I felt my legs take on about 50 lbs, they felt really heavy and I couldn’t move them if I tried. The numbness went all the way up too my chest and it was hard to breath. I tried not to panic, but I felt like I was going to pass out and die from lack of oxygen. Luckily, after a few minutes my breathing returned to normal and it felt like something moved off my chest. I still felt really light-headed and high throughout the procedure.

Kevin came over and sat next to me and held my hand and Trenton stood next to him and held my hand too. I teared up a little and the procedure hadn’t even started yet. One of my mid-wives was there too, she was really awesome because she could see over the divider and she told us exactly what was happening as it was happening. After what felt like 5 seconds, they opened up a small window in the sheet and we were able to see the baby get pulled out. I couldn’t really see and I was really out of it so it was okay. He came out pooping and peeing and crying, so I knew we had a healthy baby boy.

Kevin was the first to hold him and him and Trenton got to help and watch while the nurse weighed and measured our baby. I was able to glance over and see my baby from a distance. When I first saw him, I cried. My mid-wife was kind enough to wipe my tears away, it was a beautiful moment.

Maddex Martin (pronounced Marteen) Miller was born on 12-10-10 at 10:05 am, weighing 6 lbs, 11oz and 20 in long.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.